Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Family of footballer, Izu Joseph, allegedly murdered by Nigerian Army, petitions Human Rights Commission

The bereaved family of former 3SC/Shooting footballer, Izu Joseph, has petitioned the National Human Rights Commission, claiming N1 billion in damages from the Nigerian Army, who allegedly murdered the player in October 2016.





  



Izu Joseph was killed by the Nigerian Army who released a statement saying he was in a cultists den and was hit by a stray bullet, while his family and community strongly denied he was ever a cultist saying he was shot twice by the army. 


Source: linda ikeji blog 




Wednesday, February 1, 2017

UK deports 83 Nigerians

No fewer than 83 Nigerians are expected to arrive in the country on Wednesday (today) following their deportation from the United Kingdom.

The PUNCH gathered that among those to be deported were residents whose documents had expired and prisoners whose terms of imprisonment were nearing completion.
The spokesperson for the National Emergency Management Agency, South-West Zone, Ibrahim Farinloye, said the deportees were expected to be in the country at 5am.

He explained that they would arrive through the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, adding that officials of the agency and other government workers were expected to receive them.



Farinloye said the prisoners would complete their jail terms in Nigeria.

He said, “We were informed that 83 Nigerians would be deported from the United Kingdom on Wednesday morning. Some of the people affected are those who haven’t completed their prison sentences. They would be taken to Nigerian prisons to complete their terms. Although we cannot tell the various offences, we believe others could be drug-related and immigration problems.

“We expect that when they arrive in the country, we would be able to know the real reason for their deportation. The aircraft is expected to arrive in the country at 5am at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport.”

Source: Punch Newspaper

BREAKING: Lagos Balogun market on fire



A section of the Lagos Balogun Market has reportedly been gutted by fire. The market caught fire early Wednesday morning after traders resumed for the early morning sales. Firefighters have arrived the scene and are currently putting the fire out. No causality has so far been recorded as of the time of filing this report.
source: Punch Newspaper

How Justice Ademola requested N25m bribe to grant me bail

Former Director in Office of the Accountant General of the Federation, Dr. Sani Teidi, on Tuesday, narrated before an Abuja High Court at Maitama, how Justice Ademola Adeniyi who is facing corruption charges, kept him in prison custody for a year and two months, following his inability to pay N25million bribe. DOCKED: Justice Adeniyi Ademola of the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court (left) with his associate (right) and Chief Robert Clark (middle) at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in Maitama, yesterday. Photo: NAN The witness told the court that Justice Ademola approached his wife through an agent simply identified as Mr. Kingsley O. He said the agent gave his wife two different account numbers where the N25m should be paid into. Meanwhile, Justice Ademola, through his legal team led by Dr. Onyechi Ikpeazu, SAN, dismissed the allegation, stressing that the witness who was docked before his court by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, had attempted to use forged documents to get bail. Ikpeazu, SAN, maintained that there was no evidence to show that the embattled Judge, at any time, had personal contact with the witness. Teidi was on trial before Justice Ademola following his alleged complicity in the illegal diversion of over N4.6billion pension fund. Testifying as the sixth prosecution witness, PW-6, in the ongoing trial of Justice Ademola, the witness narrated how his ordeal commenced, saying it took intervention of a panel of Justices of the Court of Appeal to eventually secure his release from Kuje prison He told the court that his travails started after he discovered that about N36billion meant for payment of pension and gratuity, were diverted into various private accounts. “After we made the discovery I sent a petition to the EFCC and ONSA. Committee was set-up which verified my claim”. He said a committee set up by the Senate also directed that the matter be investigated and the funds recovered. The PW-6 said he was a principal witness at the Senate hearing on the missing pension funds, said he was surprised when he was charged to court over fraud he discovered. “After the Senate report I was charged to court. EFCC invited me and asked me to explain what happened to N4.5b and N7.5bn. I submitted to the EFCC the account that was used to remove the money and the mandate. “One Charles Bonet, a Permanent Secretary (Establishment), was a signatory to one of the accounts. The money was moved from UBA to Union Bank where it disappeared. “After the investigation, I was charged to court before Justice Adamu Bello of the Federal High Court in Abuja. The charges involved unlawful removal of pension funds totalling about N4.5bn. “I was charged with others and I was granted bail with one surety in the sum of N10m who must be resident within FCT. “I fulfilled the bail term by providing one surety that owned property worth N10m and submitted the C of O, as well as surrendered my international passport. “The case started 2011. By 2012, EFCC came in with an application of what they called proper case management and the case was withdrawn. The prosecutor in that case was Godwin Obla, SAN. “While the case lasted I never jumped bail neither was my bail revoked. The case was later transferred to Justice Adeniyi Ademola. “We were two of us that were charged. Myself and one Omoefe Odugese. In April 2013, the investigator phoned me at about 9:30pmthat the case was coming up before Justice Ademola the following day”. The witness said he told the investigator that it would be impossible for him to make it to the court as scheduled considering that he was outside Abuja. He said the investigator promised to convey the situation to the court. “The next thing I knew, Justice Ademola issued a bench warrant for my arrest. There was no summon issued against me before then. “When I discovered a bench warrant was issued against me, I went to the EFCC and challenged the investigator. He told me that he duly informed the court that he was aware of my movement. “After I left EFCC, I went home and told my wife that a bench warrant has been issued on me and that I was going to honour it. “I then took myself to the court and I was remanded. Later, we were arraigned and I was denied bail. After that, somebody pressurised my wife that unless she is able to pay the sum of N25m, that I will die in prison. That I was going to be remanded in prison forever. “I now petitioned to the Chief Judge, Justice Auta, for transfer of my case to any other court. “I came back to the court and his lordship, Justice Ademola, brought out the petition and asked if I was the author and I told him yes and he said whether I like it or not he was going to handle the case. He then sent me back to the prison and adjourned the matter sine-die (indefinitely). “After pressure from my lawyer, he then granted me bail to the tune of N500m with two sureties. He said with the two of them the bail sum would amount to N1bn. “I met the bail conditions. One of my sureties was Chief Oke and the second was Igbelimeta Farm Projects Ltd. Before then, the person that was acting for his lordship told my wife that unless she paid that money, that even if I perfect the conditions, I would not be released. “After I perfected my bail, my counsel, Mr. S. I. Ameh, SAN, reminded Justice Ademola that we had an application before him and that the bail conditions has been met. “Justice Ademola said he was aware. That my case is like that of Boko Haram, kidnapping and terrorism. Therefore he would take his time to study the file before appending his signature. Then the case was adjourned and I was taken back to the prison. “The next time we met in court, he said sorry that rain fell on my file that there is no way he could look at it until the file dries up. I was taken back to prison custody. “I was arraigned April 2013. I got to know why my bail was not approved around November. I heard that I would not be allowed to go out until I pay the money to Justice Ademola’s agent, one Kingsley O. who supplied an account number. “I was told I would not go out because the account submitted by Kingsley O. was not credited. The agent always had foreknowledge of what will happen in court even before sitting. He would tell me that the case would be adjourned maybe from November to December, and when we got to court things usually happened exactly the way he said it would. “The bail was never approved even when my surety Mr. Okey brought the C of O of his property. Justice Ademola gave him back his file. The surety came to meet me in the prison and told me the judge said he should take back his documents. “Even when we applied for variation of the bail conditions he never approved it. We applied for variation after Okey withdrew his documents and we were left with only one surety who could not meet up with the N1bn condition’. Th witness said he took the case before the court of Appeal which gave him N100m bail with one surety. “The appeal court ordered that the case should be heard by any other Judge of the Federal High Court apart from Justice Ademola”. A certified copy of the appellate court judgment dated May 6, 2014, was admitted into evidence and marked as exhibit C. Besides, the witness said while he was in prison custody, Justice Ademola, issued an order that all his properties should be forfeited to the federal government. He said some of his properties forfeited on order of Justice Ademola were Brifina Hotel, Hamo Filing Station and A. Y. Ted filing station. Teidi said he developed high blood pressure while in prison and went into coma in November 2014 and was rushed to the National Hospital. “My lawyer reported the development to Justice Ademola, stressing that I was almost losing my left eye and that he should temper Justice with mercy, but he still refused”. 



While being cross-examined by Justice Ademola’s lawyer, Ikpeazu, SAN, the witness, told the court that the 1st defendant made the forfeiture order against his properties in chamber and not in the open court. The witness said though he did not report the extortion attempt to Police, he however went to bank to verify the two accounts that were given to him by the purported agent from Justice Ademola. The witness said he was subpoenaed to appear and testify before the court after he was summoned by the DSS. “They showed me a petition written by some individuals in respect of my being incapacitated for a year and two months and equally the circumstances surrounding my detention. After that I made a statement to them voluntarily”. Trial Justice Jude Okeke adjourned further hearing on the matter till Wednesday. FG had on Monday, told the court that eight armed men attempted to assassinate the witness at his Abuja residence. Ademola is answering to a 16-count criminal charge alongside his wife, Olabowale and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Joe Agi. FG, among other allegations, said the judge had in the discharge of his official duties, received gratifications from Agi to the tune of N38.5m.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/justice-ademola-requested-n25m-bribe-grant-bail-witness/

2Face Idibia states reasons, plans for Nationwide protest

African Queen crooner, 2Face Idibia has opened up on his planned protest, shifting the date from February 5th to 6th . In a statement he made available to newsmen on Tuesday, the Hip hop star said that “the people have hoped for a better Nigeria since 1999 but things are not getting any better for the majority. We are still where we are – poor and desperate. I will no longer be quiet”

Thanking Enough is Enough, the 2Face Foundation, his fellow artistes and Nigerians fully in support of the protest the star allayed the fear of some that he might have been influenced by some political machinations, saying the protest is not a platform for politician or labour unions to manipulate.



“It is not a platform for politicians of any party to manipulate. I know you will still spin it but for one second leave your battles aside and just listen to people without trying to score cheap political points against one another. It is not a point scoring exercise. It is certainly not personal. It is not an organized labour platform. With all due respect to our comrades who have done much for Nigeria, this march is for the unrepresented. It is not a ‘my religion or tribe is better than yours’ matter. All our blood is red. I, Innocent Idibia, am a living example of a Nigerian who owes their success to Nigerians of every tribe and religion. None ask what religion or tribe I am before supporting me. I am grateful.” The statement also strictly spells out how the protest march will take place, with time and place, it will commence. “On Monday, February 6th, meet me at the National Stadium at 8AM and we’ll walk to the National Theatre – 2 national icons that epitomize our decline – as we state clearly and peacefully that #IStandWithNigeria and Nigeria must work for all of us and all of us must work for Nigeria.” Read the statement in full Intro Since the idea of a nationwide march was first mentioned, the need for urgent solutions to the challenges facing Nigerians has become very clear. The people have hoped for a better Nigeria since 1999 but things are not getting any better for the majority. We are still where we are – poor and desperate. I will be no longer be quiet. I want to thank EiE, The 2face Foundation, numerous colleagues and countless fellow Nigerians for stepping up to partner with me. I am just a musician with a point of view and the ear of my fans. I have dedicated my time and resources to peace building, voter education towards peaceful elections and youth engagement in governance in Nigeria. This time around, my partners, colleagues and I have come together to present a platform for real Nigerians to communicate their real pains to government at all levels in a peaceful and articulate manner with a view to getting lasting solutions to our problems. 


Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/02/2face-idibia-states-reasons-plans-nationwide-protest/

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

EFCC loses bid to freeze Fayose’s accounts

Efforts by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to freeze the personal accounts of Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose with the Zenith Bank Plc were rebuffed by the Federal High Court sitting in Ado Ekiti that dismissed the anti-graft agency’s application for “lack of merit”.
The EFCC had on December 15, 2016, filed an application for a stay of execution of the court’s judgement of December 13, last year on the matter that the agency was erred in frozen Fayose’s account with the bank.

Dismissing the application on Tuesday, the presiding judge, Justice Taiwo Taiwo said that the EFCC had already filed an application at the Appeal Court challenging the judgement of the court.
He said that” once a judgment is being executed, you cannot stay the execution again”.
He, therefore, referred to Section 308 of the 1999 Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The judge said that there were no substantial points raised in the affidavit for the court to condemn the judgment already delivered by the court.
The Judge, therefore, dismissed the application saying it lacks merit.
source: guardian newspaper

Watford accepts Chinese club’s £20m offer for Ighalo

Super Eagles’ striker, Odion Ighalo, is set to become Nigeria’s latest export to the Chinese Super league if he accepts the offer to join Changchun Yatai. The club yesterday agreed a £20 million deal with Watford for the striker.
However, according to mirror.co.uk, West Brom could hijack the deal with a last-minute bid  but only if Baggies manager Tony Pulis matches the price agreed with Changchun.
Pulis, who sold Saido Berahino to Stoke two weeks ago, pulled out of the running for Ighalo after claiming Watford wanted too much for him, but the Hornets would not be surprised if Albion rejoined the auction at the 11th hour.




Ighalo has gone from top scorer at Vicarage Road, and magician behind the ‘Iggy chop’ party trick – which left countless defenders on their backsides – to a spare part in danger of missing out on a Premier League squad number.

And Watford head coach, Walter Mazzarri, admitted Ighalo’s departure was imminent last night, saying: “Every morning I ask the club what the situation is, and negotiations are now at an advanced stage, so it should only be a matter of a couple of days.”
Ighalo was top scorer across all four divisions in the calendar year 2015, when his 30 goals fired the Hornets to promotion and Premier League safety, in all but name, by Christmas.
Even when the goals dried up for him in the second half of last season, Shanghai SIPD made a mind-blowing £37.5m bid for Ighalo last summer – which the player rejected.
His market value plummeted as he finished 2016 with just six goals in all competitions, and Watford’s top brass agree a fresh start is the best solution for all parties.
Another Chinese club, Shanghai Shenhua, were exploring the possibility of pairing Ighalo with Carlos Tevez, the world’s highest-paid player on £600,000-a-week.
But they would not meet Watford’s £27m asking price for a player their rivals SIPD had valued £10m higher only six months ago.Ighalo appeared to be waving goodbye to travelling fans after the 2-2 draw at Bournemouth 17 days ago and was left out of the squad altogether for the embarrassing FA Cup defeat at Millwall on Sunday.
And after the arrivals of on-loan AC Milan striker M’Baye Niang – whose move is scheduled to become a permanent £14m transfer in the summer – and Mauro Zarate last week, Ighalo was sinking further down the pecking order than a mineshaft.
With £12.6m Isaac Success back in full training and skipper Troy Deeney among the crown jewels, Ighalo was faced with becoming fifth-choice striker. Furthermore, he was in danger of being excluded from Watford’s upgraded 25-man Premier League squad after the transfer window shuts because of the surfeit of foreign players on the books at Vicarage Road.
Source: Guardian Newspaper