Search This Blog
Saturday, October 1, 2016
Coffee-infused foam removes lead from contaminated water
Coffee is one of the most popular drinks, which makes
for a perky population – but it also creates a lot of used grounds. Scientists
now report in the journal ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering an
innovative way to reduce this waste and help address another environmental
problem. They have incorporated spent coffee grounds in a foam filter that can
remove harmful lead and mercury from water. Restaurants, the beverage industry
and people in their homes produce millions of tons of used coffee grounds every
year worldwide, according to researcher Despina Fragouli. While much of the
used grounds go to landfills, some of them are applied as fertilizer, used as a
biodiesel source or mixed into animal feed. Scientists are also studying it as
a possible material for water remediation. Experiments so far have shown that
powder made from spent coffee grounds can rid water of heavy metal ions, which
can cause health problems.. Source:
Guardian
Lagos hosts World Record-breaking Monopoly tourney, hosts 1,300 Players
Lagos State on Friday broke the world record of “Most
People Playing Monopoly’’ with 1,300 students competing at a time at its “City
of Lagos Monopoly’’, beating the former set in Singapore. The News Agency of
Nigeria (NAN) reports that the former record was set at the Universal Studio in
Singapore where 605 people were gathered on March 19, 2016 under the same roof.
NAN reports that the organiser of the event, Bestman Games, proposed the
competition to break the earlier world record. To set the record, Bestman Games
partnered with the Lagos State Government to organise the iconic U-17 Monopoly
event at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere. The competition witnessed an
influx of students who gathered to ensure that the aim of breaking the record
was achieved.The Chief Executive Officer of Bestman Games, Mini Akinkugbe, told
NAN that the number of students had exceeded her expectations. “What we have
here is indescribable, we have witnessed a record set in Lagos and this will go
down in the history of the sport. “We have exceeded our target but we do not
want to deny anybody participation. “So, we have to accommodate everybody
until there is no space to contain them,’’ she said. Contributing, Catherine
Bickersteth, Director, Strategic Educational Advisory Services Ltd. Source:
Guardian
Why Imo didn’t give Onye N1m, car – Commissioner
The Imo State sports
commissioner Rodney Ajaelu has explained why Rio 2016 Paralympic Games gold
medallist Lauritta Onye was not among athletes rewarded by the state last week.
Governor Rochas Okorocha gave N1m and car gifts to three powerlifters from the
state namely Roland Ezeruike, Ndidi Nwosu and Josephine Orji, who all won gold
medals in Rio. Onye, a native of Amaimo in Ikeduru Local Government Area of Imo
State, lamented her exclusion, despite winning gold and setting a new world
record in the women’s shot put event of the Games. “I’m from Imo State but I
don’t know why this is happening. I told one of the Imo coaches to add me on
the list because it’s my state but he refused, saying I’m not resident in Imo.
They said the reward was only for those who work with Imo State,” Onye said.
However, Ajaelu cleared the air on the issue saying the three athletes were
rewarded because they compete for the state, aside from being residents of the
state.“She’s (Onye) from Imo but she didn’t travel as an Imo athlete to Brazil.
If she travelled as an athlete from another state, then that state should
receive her. If a Yoruba girl was representing Imo and went to Brazil and won
gold, we would receive her,” Ajaelu stated. “I don’t know her, after
winning a gold medal, she should have presented her case. I’m the sports commissioner
but she never told me, she never told the governor.. Source:
Punch
Iwobi, Iheanacho, Rashford up for UEFA award
|
Premier League trio Marcus Rashford, Dele Alli and
Alex Iwobi have all been named on the 40-man shortlist for UEFA’s Golden Boy
award. Iwobi and the other two listed join Kelechi Iheacho and a host of
other youngsters already running for the award. UEFA’s prize is awarded with
regards to the performances of players under the age of 21 in a calendar
year, with the winner decided by a panel of 30 journalists. Last year’s
winner was Manchester United forward Anthony Martial, while Paul Pogba,
Raheem Sterling, Wayne Rooney and Cesc Fabregas are all previous winners.
Rashford, 18, has been rewarded for his fine breakthrough year at Old
Trafford and with England, notching eight goals in 15 appearances for United
as well as his first senior international strike against Australia.
Tottenham’s Alli, 20, played an instrumental role in Spurs’ title challenge
last season, transitioning from League One football with MK Dons to the
Premier League with consummate ease. Arsenal’s Iwobi, 20, has come to the
fore slower than his Premier League counterparts, but burst onto the scene
during the 2015/16 season and has also played a part in the Gunners’ recent
unbeaten run. The favourites for the 2016 edition of the award are Bayern
Munich pair Kingsley Coman and Renato Sanches, though in addition to
Rashford, Alli and Iwobi there are a further eight current representatives
from British clubs.
|
Solution to Niger Delta crisis crucial to Nation’s economy
|
Nigerian’s
daily loss to activities of militants in the Niger Delta may soon ground the
nation’s economy if government continues to trade blame over the issue, a
council member of the Nigerian-British Chamber of Commerce (NBCC), Misbau
Aminu, said yesterday. Aminu, who put the loss above N3 trillion in less than
six months, said the country might be heading for doom as recent policies
further worsen the plights of Nigerians. He said Nigerians must not keep
quiet and allow a section of the country hold the nation to ramsom, urging
that the Presidency must dialogue and plan a long-term initiative that would
assuage the worries of the region. “So much value has been destroyed, our GDP
and per capita income has plumated. Negative growth is resulting from the crisis
and Nigerians are living in pain,” Aminu told The Guardian in Lagos.To him,
government must design a special education system, address environmental
degradation and compensate the people.
|
British Airways to scrap free meals
|
British
Airways is scrapping free meals for short-haul economy fares from next year
and inviting passengers to instead pay for Marks and Spencer sandwiches,
creating a stir on social media.
The
pair announced the tie-up on Thursday, which sees BA joining the no-frills
airline model of charging passengers for food and drink.
From
January, BA will charge £4.75 ($6.2, 5.5 euros) for a tomato and mozzarella
focaccia, £1 for hand cooked crisps and a minimum of £4 for alcoholic drinks.
No food item will cost more than £5. BA said the move “follows extensive
customer research and feedback, which highlighted dissatisfaction with the
airline’s current short-haul economy catering”.
But
customer Lee Butterley tweeted: “Hey @British_Airways literally no reason to
pick you over EasyJet and Ryanair anymore then?” James Forshaw added: “Wow
@British_Airways taking away the free food is one thing, but drinks, even
soft ones? Really is no reason to fly BA short haul anymore.” Others welcomed
the move, with Jan Brian tweeting: “At last, the chance for some decent food
on flights. Don’t mess it up!”
BA
chairman and CEO Alex Cruz described the tie-up with Marks as “an ideal
partnership, providing… customers with a choice of products they recognise
and value”. Source:
Guardian
|
FG considers lower taxes for small businesses
The Federal Government, as part of its economic
stimulus plan, is considering a reduction in the income tax rates payable by
Small, Micro and Medium Enterprises in the country. The reduction in tax rates
is part of the recommendations presented to the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi
Adeosun, by the 12-member committee to review the current National Tax Policy.
The committee, headed by Prof. Abiola Sanni of the University of Lagos, was
given the assignment on August 10 and submitted its report to the minister on Thursday.
A statement from the ministry said the reduction in income tax rates for
small-scale businesses would help to encourage more start-ups in the sector as
well as boost the profitability of the existing ones. The move is also expected
to generate new jobs and make higher contribution to the Gross Domestic
Product. The statement read in part, “The committee noted that lowering the
taxes payable by Small, Micro and Medium Enterprises would encourage
compliance, promote the growth of SMMEs and expand the manufacturing base of
the nation through their activities. “Another recommendation suggested for
implementation relates to the abolition of minimum tax, which results in
loss-making companies been required to pay tax.” The statement said the Finance
minister assured the committee that a team would be set up to implement its
recommendations through administrative measures without delay. She added those
that required legislation would be forwarded to the Federal Executive Council
for consideration.. Source:
Punch
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)